5 Jul 2007

A 'cane with ECM?

Tried to tackle a Hurricane today but the damn ship had an ECM fitted. I only managed to lock a few times and eventually had to disengage. However, given what happened later, maybe I should have had stuck around longer. The jaguar may not have been enough but my Hurricane would be ample!

The conversation was casual enough though:

flashfresh > Hello!
Makari Ishtal > Evening
flashfresh > How are you today?
Makari Ishtal > Well enough I suppose
flashfresh > You have ecm on board?
Makari Ishtal > Heheheh
flashfresh > Love the 'cane by the way
Makari Ishtal > thanks...It's not what I want it to be but I get by

Finally sick of being unable to target, I warp out vowing to return as quickly as possible.

Makari Ishtal > Try this again some time?
flashfresh > OK . Can't take you this time. Next time.
Makari Ishtal > Any time my man...any time

Well, that was a challenge and I was not going to let it go.

So I came back in a 'cane but even if I was gone for no more than five minutes; two more pirates had appeared in local already. Typical. I laid low and waited and day-dreamed a bit to the day before that had me engage an arbitrator with Luc and Jubes, that was a good kill as the Arbi had over 20 million isk of modules on a 3 million isk hull. Amazing what some people do. Still, it did look like a good setup and checking the kill boards reveals that this pilot has been flying the same arbitrator-class cruiser for the last six months if not more. Must be a successful setup and from the killmails, I have an idea on what it is fitted with. All I can say is: nice.

A lot of the T2 stuff survived too which was great!

Yaarr.

Anyway, back to today and after about ten minutes, local cleared down and the two other pirates left. Now was my chance and I fired up the massive engines and jumped to a scanning spot. The target appeared to be in the same place. Of course, I went back to the belt and lo and behold, he was there in his 'cane. Waiting for me or just plain silly?
My hurricane landed right next to his hurricane and the broadside commenced.

flashfresh > Hello again
Makari Ishtal > sneaky little bastard
flashfresh > aye
flashfresh > I had to come back in something bigger!
Makari Ishtal > Looks like ya got me this time
flashfresh > 2 million isk to let you go
Makari Ishtal > See..now that's not nice...
Makari Ishtal >Are you still killing my drones?

As far as I know, my drones were on him.

Makari Ishtal > See how about we do this...I give you a million...and I not hunt you for the rest of your natural life?
flashfresh > LOL
Makari Ishtal > See...I've got bigger fish to fry,....but have it your way
Makari Ishtal > I hope you've got bigger ships than that for the next time
flashfresh > I do.
Makari Ishtal > Good....one of my gunners will have his carrier within a week so he'll keep an eye out for ya
Makari Ishtal > We spend a lot of time in Eifer pissing off the Mean corp guys
Makari Ishtal > Thanks for the 36 mil though...
Ah, once again - pilots need to tell me that they came out so much better than before.

flashfresh > Thats good and yes, Me4n are a fun bunch to place with
Makari Ishtal > Hell yeah...that whole thing probably worked out better for me than it did for you.
flashfresh > Excellent - v happy for you! (I was actually very happy at this moment in time)
flashfresh > See - we both come out of it all nice and rosy.
Makari Ishtal > Yup...except now I gotta buy new ammo...bastard...
flashfresh > Always a pain.
Makari Ishtal > Well....I guess I'll be seein ya around sometime...don't sleep too soundly.
flashfresh > I will be sleeping fine
flashfresh > I had to come back...you do realise that didn't you?
Makari Ishtal > Oh of course...why do you think I stuck around?
Makari Ishtal > I was waiting to see what you brought back with you.
flashfresh > Well now you know. I had to bring something back that was comparable a cruiser *may* have been enough.
Makari Ishtal > I didn't care much about that ship, that's why I was out there. Free ship with 36 mil insurance policy...less than a week from my hound
flashfresh > Well thats nice to hear
Makari Ishtal > Meh...I didn't have my warp scramble on me or my stabilizer
Makari Ishtal > And I was only using standard missiles instead of heavy
flashfresh > Well, that was a choice you made. If you used heavies I would have stuck around in my Jag
Makari Ishtal > And those drones were trash I had left over because I didn't feel like picking up the heavies from 8 jumps out.
Makari Ishtal > Eh, who could say.
flashfresh > Indeed. who can say.
Makari Ishtal > To tell the truth I was waiting for a decent fight. This character being relatively new and all, you have any idea how much it sucks running a cane with small weapons because you're stuck running level 1 agents
flashfresh > You have to start from somewhere. Why not stick to rifters? They rock and are not skill intensive.
Makari Ishtal > I hate rifters...prefer breachers myself
Makari Ishtal > everyone flies a rifter...I'd rather try and out-gun someone in a probe to be honest
flashfresh > Rifters can take a breacher every time.
Makari Ishtal > Or a vigil running my EW gear.
Makari Ishtal > Eh...I'll have to test that out.
Makari Ishtal > It's hard to hit a breacher when it moves at 1.2k a second
flashfresh > Please do. Bring your breacher. I will bring - *something* appropriate.
Makari Ishtal > Unfortunatly that'll have to be another day.....
Makari Ishtal > it's already 4 in the morning here and I've long since run out of beer to keep me going
flashfresh > Indeed. I will enjoy selling your loot while you will enjoy the 36million isk insurance payout.
flashfresh > It all works out.
Makari Ishtal > But I'll get myself a few good setups and we can have a little competition
Makari Ishtal > We'll do small stuff, frigates...maybe a cruiser or two or some destroyers
flashfresh > Sounds like a challenge.
Makari Ishtal > Who knows...maybe we can get some of my corps youngins to join in, give them some good training
flashfresh > Maybe.
Makari Ishtal > It's better than making them pick fights with SAVAGExxxWARRIOR in her myrmidon
flashfresh > Indeed. Savage et al. They all have friends close by.
Makari Ishtal > Though I will admit we got her almost out of armor in two frigates and a small cruiser before she nossed the hell out of us
Makari Ishtal > Yup..best to pick on her while PURE is around
Makari Ishtal > They usually hear the word 'fight' and camp the gate to keep anyone from coming in or out to mess up any fights they don't want messed up.
Makari Ishtal > But whatever...I've got my eye on you. Maybe we'll meet again and I can get some payback.
flashfresh > LOL
flashfresh > I am NOT scared.
Makari Ishtal > Oh, I wasn't trying to scare you.
flashfresh > It failed. But it pleases me that you have an eye on me.
Makari Ishtal > I'm just saying that I'll probably see you again,
flashfresh > I hope so.
flashfresh > Come here as often as possible. More than happy to lock horns with you my good Sir.
Makari Ishtal > You're only the second person to pod me on this toon. The fifth if you count all my toons over the past 3 years. You had me out-gunned all the way.
Makari Ishtal > *chuckles* any time
flashfresh > What was your setup then?
Makari Ishtal > For the second fight? Same as the first
Makari Ishtal > Phased plasma in a 425m, two 125duals, and 2 200's, all medium, standard guns, nothing special. A light assault launcher, standard and a standard malkuth launcher, both with bloodclaws
flashfresh > You were using dual 125s? nice choice
Makari Ishtal > Fast and fairly accurate even against frigates.
flashfresh > indeed.
Makari Ishtal > That's why I use em.
Makari Ishtal > But yeah...you had some tough armor though...I had a few 100mm rolled tungston plates on...usually I'm fitted with 4
Makari Ishtal > But I only had my armor pumped to 5800 or so
Makari Ishtal > No special resistances or anything
flashfresh > Why not consider using a ruppie? cheaper and v v good.
Makari Ishtal > Hmm? Sorry...not familiar with the term. The last time I've played outside the last week and a half was when Battlecruisers were new and everyone was talking about how cool titans were gonna be.
flashfresh > I use them all the time, was considering bringing that one along but it was parked too far.
Makari Ishtal > so it's been a while
Makari Ishtal > oh...same reason I don't fly a rifter
flashfresh > what was that reason again?
Makari Ishtal > Everyone and their mother has one and swears by them
Makari Ishtal > I have a stabber a couple of jumps out that I use sometimes still
flashfresh > Nice ship. Better off using that. You need some good skills to use the Hurricane well.
flashfresh > It takes time thats all
Makari Ishtal > Yup....that's why I was out there...testing what I had against cruiser class rats and seeing if any pirates picked on me
flashfresh > I see. Using a cane is an expensive lesson.
Makari Ishtal > I've flown a cyclone before on an alt I'm retiring, never had a hurricane and wanted to see the difference while I trained everything up.
Makari Ishtal > Yeah it is an expensive lesson.
Makari Ishtal > This last one was a gift though from some friends.
Makari Ishtal > I bought a cane off them and got a good deal on it, 34 mil with a projectile rig
flashfresh > Nice friends. The ECM was a nice touch, but not enough this time round.
flashfresh > Not enough by far.
Makari Ishtal > Oh, I know...That was my first time with a burst ecm
Makari Ishtal > To be hones tI couldn't tell if it was working or not
flashfresh > You couldn't?
flashfresh > Maybe I should have stuck around longer than.
Makari Ishtal > Yeah...it's not like directed bursts
flashfresh > Indeed.
Makari Ishtal > Doesn't give you that "Hey...so and so is trying to lock you again. I just die slower
flashfresh > Good against frigates, less so against Cruisers or bigger
Makari Ishtal > yup
Makari Ishtal > I figured it must have been working against the jag
Makari Ishtal > Because I thought they were stronger than that and I had you and those rats on me and I wasn't taking that much damage
flashfresh > Wasn't firing thats why.
flashfresh > Couldn't lock
Makari Ishtal > So I noticed
Makari Ishtal > I figured that's what it was when I saw you warp out.
flashfresh > No point in staying if I cant lock.
Makari Ishtal > If you had of stuck around though you could have had a chance
flashfresh > Maybe
Makari Ishtal > Between the burst, the web and when I finally turned my armor repairer on just to be safe...I would have been out of juice after another 10 seconds
Makari Ishtal > Hell, I even turned off my AB's to save fuel.
flashfresh > It's all about balance.
Makari Ishtal > Ah, you take care...I need a couple hours of sleep
Makari Ishtal > remind me to tell you how I used to pirate sometime, back in the day when my old group used to shipjack people.

The loot was ok but the killmail was more fun.